Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. If you click them, I earn a small commission. It does not cost you anything extra, but this commission helps support the work of running this site. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.
These Low Carb Shredded Chicken Tacos are a fast healthy recipe that my whole family loves!
You know how I am about Mexican food and tacos specifically, so when I can find a simple recipe that tastes great and won’t make me feel crazy in the kitchen, I have to share it!
These are somewhat unique because I crisp the chicken in the oven prior to serving so it is more like carnitas but simpler (and a non-pig cut since I know many readers don’t consume pork)
Low Carb Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe
4-6 Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Jar (14 oz) of Green Salsa
16 oz bag of frozen Onions and Peppers
1 Cup of Chicken Broth
Low Carb Tortillas
Guacamole, Cheese, Sour Cream, Lettuce, etc to taste.
- Place the chicken, green salsa, onions and peppers and broth in your CrockPot.
2. Set your pot to high for 4 hours to allow the chicken to cook through and to soften the onions and peppers.
Sidenote: If you have an instant pot, you can cook this on high for 45 minutes.
3. When your crockpot is done, take out your chicken and shred it. I usually use my Kitchen aid mixer on a low setting.
Curious how I like to shred meats in my mixer? I attached a video below this recipe!
4. Preheat your oven to 450F.
5. Once your meat is shredded, lay it and the onions and poppers out as flat as possible on a baking sheet with a rim. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges of the chicken look crispy.
6. While you crisp up the chicken in the oven, heat your low carb tortillas on your stovetop (it should take about 3 minutes or so).
7. Once your chicken is ready, build your tacos with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Watch My Easy Way to Shred Chicken in my Mixer