Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. If you click them, I earn a small commission. It does not cost you anything extra, but this commission helps support the work of running this site. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.
It is no secret that we are getting closer to “Cold and Flu Season”…
There are many reasons why we may get sick more often in the winter (and some may surprise you!)
- Less sunlight or time spent outdoors (means less Vitamin D for us)
- We eat more sugar which naturally suppresses our immune system
- Breathing in less fresh air (possibly spreading more germs in closed buildings)
Whatever the reasons are… I’ll just be over here sipping on some immune boosting wassail in my Christmas cup : )
When I posted on Facebook about my mom’s wassail, I got so many questions about what wassail is – which was surprising since I grew up drinking it during the fall and winter months.
It is based on apple juice and orange juice with extra spices to give it a great holiday feel. The recipe below is modified from my mom’s original recipe with an extra superfood added!
Why is it considered immune boosting?
Honey has amazing properties that help your body when you are fighting a cold (especially good for suppressing a cough too).
Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is always touted as a superfood you should never be without. It helps you alkalize your body.
Mom’s Famous Immune Boosting Wassail
64 oz of no sugar added Apple Juice
2 cups of Orange Juice (great source of vitamin C)
2 teaspoons of apple pie spice
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon of cloves
One large orange cut into round slices unpeeled
8 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
8 teaspoons of raw honey
Simmer together for an hour.
Pour in your favorite Christmas mugs.
Perfect drink for cold days and holiday parties too!
I hope that your family stays STRONG all fall and winter long and the best way to fight a cold is PREVENTION : )
- What Do You Eat on Keto? Part 2: Low Carb Vegetables - October 23, 2020
- What Are The Social Media Platforms to Focus on GROWTH Online in 2021? - October 19, 2020
- What Do You Eat on Keto? Part 1: Healthy Fats - October 16, 2020