Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. If you click them, I earn a small commission. It does not cost you anything extra, but this commission helps support the work of running this site. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.
I’m a Louisiana girl. I grew up in north Louisiana and I lived in south Louisiana for 8 years… and believe me when I say Cajuns know how to cook! I haven’t lived in Louisiana for many years now, but anytime there is a cold snap, I start craving my Instant Pot Gumbo. This is a fast and easy way to have your favorite Cajun flavors in a fast one hour instant pot recipe.
I have a special place in my heart for gumbo. It’s the perfect meal for a cold fall or winter day!
The basis of the dish is the roux (a mix of flour and oil cooked into a peanut buttery consistency). The roux is the HEART of a good gumbo. A lot of my friends in Louisiana didn’t make the roux themselves, but bought a bottle of pre-made roux… but it really can be made at home from scratch with time and a few simple ingredients.
When I started experimenting with making my own instant pot gumbo, I wanted to try to use healthier ingredients. I started making it with a roux of Olive oil and Rye Flour – Traditional? No. – but maybe just a little healthier!
Note: I chose Rye Flour since it’s a healthier option, but I know many people are looking for a Gluten-Free choice and you could use this recipe with your preferred Gluten-Free Flour and I think it would work great! I have used this one before and it’s excellent!
That feeling when we finally made the perfect pot of instant pot gumbo…
I made gumbo… IN. MY. INSTANT. POT. And it only took about ONE HOUR!
If you aren’t familiar with an Instant Pot, stop reading and check this out right now!
One Hour Instant Pot Gumbo
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of Rye Flour (here’s the flour I personally use)
1 tsp of Thyme
1 tsp of Gumbo File (you likely don’t have this one your shelf, but you should!)
2 Tablespoons of Cajun Seasoning (like Tony’s or something similar)
3 Tablespoons of Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon of Paprika
3 Cups of the “Trinity” (Onions, Peppers, Celery)
2 Quarts of Chicken Broth
2-3 pounds of Frozen or Fresh chicken breast
One Hour Instant Pot Directions
1 First, You need to make your roux.
You want equal parts of oil and flour.
Turn your Instant Pot on Sauté and add 1/2 a cup of oil. Once heated, mix in your 1/2 cup of flour.
2. You need to stir it often until it starts reminding you of peanut butter…
3. Add in your powdered seasoning, slowing mixing in.
4. Then add in your Trinity (Onions, Peppers, and Celery) – sauté in the instant pot for a few minutes until soft.
5. Slow add in about 1/2 your broth – mixing in the roux.
6. Add in your raw chicken. (You can use fresh or frozen chicken in the Instant Pot!)
7. Add in the rest of your broth.
8. Use the “Soup” function.
9. For Fresh Chicken: set to cook for 20 minutes. For Frozen Chicken: set to cook for 30 minutes.
10. I let it naturally release for 12 minutes, then manually release the rest of the way.
11. Pull out cooked chicken and shred it, then add it back to your soup.
(optional: After it is cooked, if you like a thicker gumbo, you can mix 2 tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch in a little bit of water and mix in your soup)
You are going to love this tasty soup!