Some posts on this blog contain affiliate links. If you click them, I earn a small commission. It does not cost you anything extra, but this commission helps support the work of running this site. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely my own.
I’m a Louisiana girl. I grew up in north Louisiana and I lived in south Louisiana for 8 years… and believe me when I say Cajuns know how to cook!
Also, most traditional Cajun recipes are NOT healthy….
Now, being a Louisiana girl… I have a special place in my heart for gumbo. It’s the perfect meal for a cold fall or winter day!
The basis of the dish is the roux (a mix of flour and oil cooked into a peanut buttery consistency). The roux is the HEART of a good gumbo. A lot of my friends in Louisiana didn’t make the roux themselves, but bought a bottle of pre-made roux… but it really can be made at home from scratch!
I wanted to try to use healthier ingredients so I made a roux with Olive oil and Rye Flour – Traditional? No. – but maybe just a little healthier!
Note: I chose Rye Flour since it’s a healthier option, but I know many people are looking for a Gluten-Free choice and you could use this recipe with your preferred Gluten-Free Flour and I think it would work great! I have used this one before and it’s excellent!
Now, here is the FUN part…
I made gumbo… IN. MY. INSTANT. POT.
And it only took about ONE HOUR!
If you aren’t familiar with an Instant Pot, stop reading and check this out right now!
One Hour Instant Pot Gumbo
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup of Rye Flour (here’s the flour I personally use)
1 tsp of Thyme
1 tsp of Gumbo File (you likely don’t have this one your shelf, but you should!)
2 Tablespoons of Cajun Seasoning (like Tony’s or something similar)
3 Tablespoons of Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon of Paprika
3 Cups of the “Trinity” (Onions, Peppers, Celery)
2 Quarts of Chicken Broth
2-3 pounds of Frozen or Fresh chicken breast
One Hour Instant Pot Directions
1 First, You need to make your roux.
You want equal parts of oil and flour.
Turn your Instant Pot on Saute and add 1/2 a cup of oil. Once heated, mix in your 1/2 cup of flour.
2. You need to stir it often until it starts reminding you of peanut butter…
3. Add in your powdered seasoning, slowing mixing in.
4. Then add in your Trinity (Onions, Peppers, and Celery) – saute in the instant pot for a few minutes until soft.
5. Slow add in about 1/2 your broth – mixing in the roux.
6. Add in your raw chicken. (You can use fresh or frozen chicken in the Instant Pot!)
7. Add in the rest of your broth.
8. Use the “Soup” function.
9. For Fresh Chicken: set to cook for 20 minutes. For Frozen Chicken: set to cook for 30 minutes.
10. I let it naturally release for 12 minutes, then manually release the rest of the way.
11. Pull out cooked chicken and shred it, then add it back to your soup.
(optional: After it is cooked, if you like a thicker gumbo, you can mix 2 tablespoons of arrowroot or cornstarch in a little bit of water and mix in your soup)
You are going to love this tasty soup!
P.S. If you are like me, you LOVE a warm cup of coffee to keep you toasty all winter long. Why not let your cup of coffee turn you into a FAT BURNING machine!?! Click to Learn more about my favorite way to fuel my body and help me lose weight all season long.