Biscuits and Sausage Gravy are one mine and my husband’s favorite weekend treat.
These are not traditionally a healthy meal. Traditional biscuits are full of processed carbs and hydrogenated fats. These processed carbs are likely to send your blood sugar soaring. Sausage gravy is usually thickened with processed flour, mixing carbs and fats.
We learned in Trim Healthy Mama that when you mix carbs and fats together, you are going to store excess carbs and fats in your cells as more fat.
First we needed to find the perfect biscuit. We want this meal to be a Satisfying or S meal for Trim Healthy Mamas out there. To do that, we need to find a low glycemic biscuit that is easy for busy moms and also uses plan approved flours. Our biscuits used coconut flour and almond flour. They were easy to make too. The grain free biscuits only took about 25 minutes from start to finish! We were able to bake them while I cooked the gravy.
The Gravy…. Wow. This is pretty awesome. I love gravy.
Since traditional gravy is thickened with butter or fat and flour, I needed to come up with a way to thicken it while still staying on plan. The answer: Glucomannan
I added lots of seasonings that you can simplify if you want. You really only need to include: salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings. I added a few shakes of turmeric for added health benefits.
No more waiting, here is the perfect Trim and Healthy Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
- ¾ cup of egg whites
- ¾ cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons coconut oil, chilled
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 pound of sausage
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon of sage
- 1 tsp of crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp of glucomannan
- 8 oz of cream cheese
- 1½ cups of chicken broth
- Full Biscuit directions can be found at: http://simplylivinghealthy.org/2011/11/11/the-perfect-paleo-biscuit
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake biscuits for 15-18 minutes.
- Sausage Gravy: melt coconut oil in medium-high skillet.
- Brown sausage in skillet
- Add seasonings and mix in well.
- In a small bowl, mix together well the glucomannan and almond milk.
- Turn heat down and add almond milk to skillet, cream cheese, and chicken or beef broth.
- Stir and break up cream cheese.
- Let warm until biscuits are ready.
Out of glucomannan? Buy Here: Glucomannan Powder 100% Pure – 8 oz – Powder
P.S. If you are interested in trying my favorite products to help you reach your goals, CLICK HERE to take our survey and learn how you can be our next product tester!
Latest posts by Angela Parker (see all)
- How to Wipe Away Wrinkles - June 19, 2017
- [Success Tip] How to celebrate Progress over Perfection - June 16, 2017
- The Work From Home Quiz - June 15, 2017