This was the first year I finally fell in love with Butternut Squash. What took me so long!?!
Here is the perfect soup for those colder nights this season. Butternut Pumpkin Apple Soup.
I have made this two different methods: in the slow cooker and on the stove. Both turned out great, so I’ll share both ways to make it.
Butternut squash has been on sale at my Krogers for the past few weeks for 99 cents a pound! Which is such a deal. It won’t last long, so make this soup when you get the chance.
This recipe is linked up to Gwen’s Trim Healthy Tuesdays! Go check out her newest recipe: THM Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake Recipe
- One butternut squash - halved and seeded
- One Onion cut in half and outer layer peeled
- 1 32 oz carton of chicken broth
- 1 16 oz can of pumpkin puree
- 2 apples (any variety will work) cored and sliced
- 2 tsp of each: curry powder, salt, cinnamon
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicier)
- ¼ tsp of black pepper
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- Stevia to taste (I used two packets of truvia)
- ½ cup of nonfat Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and roast butternut squash cut side down and onion for 45 minutes. During this time you can heat on stove (or in crockpot on high) your broth, pumpkin, apples, spices and seasonings.
- Once your butternut squash and onion are roasted, scoop out the flesh of the squash and add that to pot and add onion halves at this time too.
- Blend ingredients together. The first time I used my food processor and added batches of the soup to the appliance to blend. Then I purchased an immersion blender, because I knew I would be making this soup a lot (and I have!). Immersion blenders make this soup so much easier.
- Add your yogurt at this time. You can add more broth (or apple juice) to reach the desired soup consistency. Every squash is a different size, so sometimes you need more broth than other times.
- Let cook for another 30 minutes on the stove. In the crock pot you would cover and lower temp to low if you were going to eat it much later in the day, or leave it on high for another 2 hours.
- I served with a tsp of pumpkin seeds on top. It was so perfect. Just like Fall in a bowl!
Latest posts by Angela Parker (see all)
- Keto Friendly King Cake! - January 22, 2019
- Keeping God’s Word Close - January 20, 2019
- My New Favorite Plant Based Weight loss Supplement! - January 18, 2019